Several years ago we were on a road trip with our daughter and church family. We had spent the week in Wyoming helping a little church with their VBS and a community block party in the park. It was fun. It was hard work. We were very tired.
On our way home we decided to drive through Colorado to enjoy the scenery and visit some friends. It added a few hours to our trip but it was definitely worth it. The extra hours in the car pushed me from tired to exhausted. I'm not a good traveler.
One evening we pulled off the highway in a very small town to use the bathroom and refuel - with candy not gasoline.....I've got to have travel treats! It was such a small convenience store that I was sure there was only one stall in the bathroom so my daughter decided to stay in the car sleeping a bit while I went in to use the ladies room. We had played out this tandem potty-party many times over the previous week and I cautioned Noni to keep the car doors locked until I returned.
I was surprised when I entered the bathroom that there were actually two stalls. It seemed that someone was in one of them so I hurridley went into the other. I had been "holding it" for many miles and was desperate to get my business done. As I sat there I had such a strange feeling like someone was watching me. I was very uncomfortable and decided to look up toward the ceiling, examining the room a bit. When I did, I noticed a funny little window on the left side of the stall! It was about 12 inches x 12 inches squared.......and the woman in the stall next to me was watching me!!
Startled, I let out a little scream and looked away.....grabbing toilet paper to finish up my business and get out of there. Through the corner of my eye I could still see the woman watching me through the corner of her eye. I was really freaked out. I decided to say something.
"Oh! You scared me. I wasn't expecting a window in the bathroom stall. Isn't it the strangest thing you've ever seen?" I said with a shaky voice.
She said nothing. I noticed she was still watching me. Trying to clean up and be modest was a little hard to do in such a small space but I didn't want to show her more than I had to since she was obviously determined to violate my privacy.
"I'll hurry up and let you have the bathroom all to yourself." I stated. "It's a little disconcerting knowing someone can see you, isn't it?" I privately hoped my pleasant chatter would keep her from murdering me in my stall.
She said nothing. I flushed and quickly exited the stall stopping only to briefly wash my hands.
"Have a nice evening," I said. "I'll pray for your safe travels." Pulling open the heavy dirty door with a paper towel in my hand so as to not to "touch anything", I literally ran out of the room.
When I reached the car I nervously told my daughter about the strange encounter in the bathroom and asked her to wait a few minutes before going in. But, she had to go "now!" And, she assured me she would be ok since I had made it out alive.
"What did you think about that strange woman?" I asked when she returned several minutes later.
"Mom, I don't know know what you are talking about. There wasn't anyone else in the bathroom. Just me."
"Oh!" I exclaimed. "She must have left in a hurry just after I did. It was very strange the way she kept watching me. What did you think about the strange little window between the bathroom stalls? I've never seen anything like that before. It was a little embarrassing because I could see her watching me. Can you imagine someone doing something like that?"
My daughter collapsed in the back seat of the car laughing hysterically. Between her shrieks of laughter and gasps for air, I heard her say, "Mom! That wasn't a window! It was a mirror."
Every time I hear this story, i laugh even harder!
ReplyDeleteOh my moon. pahaha! How have I missed that one all these years. (I was so freaked out for you!) ROFL
ReplyDelete